Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New York, NY... it's a helluva town!!

got back last night from a long weekend in the big apple.

Friday night we took in the NY Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall. If you've never been there, the main floor seating section is probably football field sized with three tiers of seating along the sidelines and the end zone opposite the stage. Basically the symphony plays in a 3 storied box but with better acoustics. AFH is, in a word, cavernous. Our seats were in the second tier at the 5 yard line. Not the best sight line, not sure how that impacted our hearing the program.  I do know what it did for my neck. It gave me a crick.

I was excited to hear the Philharmonic play, to hear the guest violinist. I wanted to garner an idea of how our ASO and the Globe News Center for the Performing Arts measure up against this world renowned symphony and hall.

I won't say that I wasn't in awe of both but somehow I was left wanting.  Maybe it is the size of AFH  or our seat location.  Maybe it is because we are ASO season ticket holders or  maybe it's the intimacy of the GNC.  Maybe I was just tired after a long day of travel. Maybe I'm just more invested in our ASO.  Whatever the reason, I prefer our little band of players and our hall.  Maybe that's just me buying local.

aio

No comments:

Post a Comment