Thursday, May 15, 2014

New York, NY.. it's a helluva town-- 2!!

on Saturday we took in two shows.

the first was "Raisin in the Sun" with Denzel Washington.  I've never seen a production of the play but I read it on the plane to NY. The read did not prepare me for what I saw on stage.  Any written word is open to interpretation.  Whether this was a directorial decision or an actor's choice, what read as a somewhat somber piece came off as laugh out loud funny but still moved me to tears at the end.

i'm a give me a musical any day over a drama kind of guy but this production was oh so enjoyable. sure there was Denzel, and he was good, but the heart of the play is the female characters.  I laughed and I cried.  It was great!

on a side note, the producers may have stumbled on a recipe for getting the black audience out in numbers-- that is Denzel + Raisin. The audience, at least for this performance, was 90% black.  And they had a magical Broadway experience, as did I.

aio




No comments:

Post a Comment